Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Salon music.

The latest project I have been seriously working on is learning to play some early 20th century salon music.

See, I have this crazy idea of starting up a neighborhood Salon Society, where folks would come together over tea and crumpets, dressed in their Sunday best, to discuss art and music and to demonstrate and/or discuss whatever interests them.

For example, maybe someone wants to recite some poetry, even if they didn't write it. Maybe someone wants to bring a painting they are working on to display and talk about. Maybe someone wants to do a five minute lecture on the history of the safety pin. Maybe someone wants to play some music. Maybe folks will even sing to it. 


So with that in mind, I've started working on a piano piece called Rippling Waves from 1905 which is a very sweet little salon piece, as well as a sing-along piece called There's Someone More Lonesome than You (1916) which I find to be a kick in the pants. Both pieces are so...period. It is so easy to imagine the people who wrote and enjoyed this music at the time. Eventually, I'd love to have an entire repertoire of this type of music! Now, keep in mind that I am no pianist. I have a degree in music, yes, but I stopped playing piano when I was something like nine years old. And now, at the ripe age of 40, I've started taking lessons again.

Anyway, what do you think? Would you join me for a Sunday Afternoon Salon Society (SASS) meeting?

1 comment:

  1. Oh hai! I just found your blog! I got all excited about the idea of Salons, because I have totally been thinking about it myself over the last few months! The url comes up on my computer as ...blogspot.co.nz, so I checked your profile to see where you're based, but you're in the States!!! How rude! If you're ever in Auckland, NZ, we should hang out. Much aroha (love)

    ReplyDelete